With Feeding, Less is More

The feeding and watering process, fertilizers, additives, pH, and the like.
raybark
Site Admin

With Feeding, Less is More

Postby raybark » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:10 pm

I posted this on other forums as "Ignorance is Bliss". Or shall I say "Ignoring it" is apparently "Bliss"?

So I have this "seedling incubator" in my basement. 3' x 6' x 4' tall, it is illuminated by two 4' Philips Blue/Far Red LED strips on a 14 hr/day timer, and watered 2x a day for 90 seconds with a Mist King system that sprays nothing but pure RO. Definitely an extreme case of "Less is More" on the feeding front.

In February of last year, I got in a bunch of Amesiella monticola plugs that were blooming size. I put them in sphagnum in 3" net pots, watered them in with KelpMax & Inocucor Garden Solution, and sold most of them right away. There was one that was the "runt of the litter", so I stuck it in the incubator.

In the 13 months I've had it, this plant has seen nothing but pure water after that initial watering. I have absolutely ignored it - I actually forgot it was in there.

The moss is growing wild, but the plant is apparently pretty happy, having one open blossom and two buds.

Ray Barkalow
Orchid Iconoclast

pforrester1

Re: With Feeding, Less is More

Postby pforrester1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Do you buy live moss?

raybark
Site Admin

Re: With Feeding, Less is More

Postby raybark » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 am

Do you buy live moss?
No, Pam.

Most dried sphagnum has enough spores in it, that given the right conditions, it will germinate as grow by itself.

To the best I can tell from my experience, those conditions are bright light and pure water.
Ray Barkalow
Orchid Iconoclast

Return to “Nutrition & Watering”